Cedar pergolas make an attractive addition to any backyard. A Pergola is a Latin term used to described a shaded area used for Entertaining, usually associated with a garden.
Lone Star Patio Builders installs aluminum or cedar pergolas in Houston, The Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land, Spring, Conroe, Kingwood, Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, Richmond, Sealy & many other areas throughout Texas.
Below are a few facts about Cedar Pergolas in Houston TX:
- Pergola Wood – Western Red Cedar from the Pacific Northwest. We use Rough cut Cedar which is full of character and smells fresh. Western Red Cedar for Pergolas is the best choice. Western Red Cedar is naturally bug resistant and resist warping even in our humid climate.
- Pergola Stain – We are a custom Design-Build Patio Pergola Company, so we can use any color of stain.
- Pergola Post Size – The post size should be determined by the size of the Pergola. We start with 6″x6″ cedar post and work our way up as needed.
- Pergola Beam Size – The Beam size of the Pergola is determined by the span between the cedar post. 2″x8″ cedar beams are typical. We move up as the span increases between the Pergola post. We generally use double beams, which are on two sides of the post and stacked. This makes the Pergola stronger and can carry more weight.
- Pergola Rafters – The Cedar Pergola Rafters are generally 2″x6″. The Pergola Rafters can be spaced from 12″ to 24″ apart. Based on the linear direction of the rafters will determine the amount of shade it will produce at different times of day.
- Pergola Strippers – The Cedar Strippers which are approximately 2″x2″ span the width of the Pergola. These provide additional shade and ties the Rafters together. These can be placed very close together to provide more shade. Typically about 6″ on center is standard.
- Pergola Privacy Screens – If privacy is an issue, we can install privacy screens using strippers or custom designs. These can be used as a Trellis for flowering Vines and fruits.
- Polycarbonate Roofing – We use a product called Polycarbonate. It is a high Density plastic the has a clean and updated look. If we were to use this product, we would provide a small slope to allow proper dispersion of rain water.
Contact Lone Star Patio Builders for any questions about Cedar Pergolas.
When installing cedar pergolas you should also consider some additional options:
- Ceiling Fans and Lighting Options
- Pergola Size and Shape
- With or Without Stone Columns or Post Bases
- End Cut Styles
- Stamped concrete
- Aluminum is also an alternative material option.
- And Many More Pergola Options.